Wednesday, January 5, 2011

‘Twas the Season for Baking

Yum! Image credit: www.forthemommas.com
Image Credit: FortheMommas.com

I thoroughly enjoy cooking and baking for the ones I love! The aromas, the excitement of the first bite, the feeling of the day's stress slowly melting away are just few of the small joys that I've found in this fun and semi-new activity.

It all began when I moved into my first apartment with my college roommates in 2004. I dabbled in making meals that didn't originate in a box, which was quite a feat at the time. When I later moved to Michigan in 2006 to live with my boyfriend (who eventually became my fiancé, and then my husband), my mother gave me my very own "Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook" and I also discovered my new favorite recipe web-site that I still use to this day: AllRecipes.com.

Now that I'm married and living in my own home (with a kitchen that is MUCH nicer than the ones I learned in), I try to cook and bake whenever I can. Although I certainly don't frown upon the use of box dinners and mixes, I've found that if I have the time it's not terribly difficult to make most things from scratch (not to mention it can be fun putting that extra bit of "love" into what I make).

Over my Christmas break I made batches and batches of cookies and candies until I just couldn't look at anything that was remotely sweet. I'm using this post to share with you some of the recipes I followed that will definitely be used again!

Sadly, the only two pictures that I can claim as my own is the first one of the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies I with the red and green M&M's (which my good friend named "stoplight cookies" because he just couldn't possibly see how they would make him think of Christmas ::wink wink::) and the Awesome Oatmeal Cookies.  Continue reading for the recipes and pictures!


Hope you guys enjoy these recipes as much as I did :)

I added raisins to my cookies. These turned out to be super out soft!
I added red and green M&M's in an attempt to be festive. These cookies turned out SUPER soft...almost similar to a brownie, but not quite the same.
Pretzel Turtles
These were sort of time consuming because I had to unwrap each Rolo that I used, but besides that, this was definitely an easy and fail-proof recipe! Cute enough to give away as gifts also.

Microwave Oven Peanut Brittle
This was definitely messy, but the results were worth it! It was my first time making peanut brittle so I was so happy when it turned out to be so good! It was hard keeping the hubby's hands off of this stuff!

I don't own a candy thermometer (yet), so I chose to use this recipe instead of the old-fashioned way that my Grandma Ring makes it (using sugar and cocoa and dropping the mixture into cold water to look for the "soft ball" stage). Overall, everyone loved it, but my Grandma still insists on doing it her way. I guess it's a case of "don't fix it if it ain't broke."
Please feel free to share your favorite Christmas recipe links and pictures in your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any and all comments, but please be polite to myself and others!