Friday, May 6, 2011

Cupkateer's Pottery Barn Pillow Knock-Off's

I was over at Someday...Crafts and happened to stumble upon Cupkateer's guest blog post and thought, what a great tutorial!  The pillows looked ridiculously cute and I needed a unique gift to give to someone, so I decided to give it a try!
Here's what I ended up with:


Continue reading to see pictures of how I constructed it!

First, I cut out all the pieces that I needed...
 


Next, I used a thread spool and traced around the edges with chalk to make my scallops.



After tracing all the way around with my thread spool, I cut the scallops out.


I repeated this for each of the smaller squares that I cut out.

I pinned it all together on the front piece once I cut-out and scalloped each inner square.


Next, I sewed around the inside of each square with a 1/4" allowance, attaching each inner piece to the front piece (including my two appliquéd letters).



Here's what it looked like once I finished sewing the front piece and unpinned it:

Finally, I pinned the two back pieces to the front, right sides facing and sewed all the way around with a zig-zag stitch.  The two back pieces should overlap, creating a way for you to turn the pillow out once you sew all the way around.  They also provide a way for you to place a 16" square pillow inside, once you're completely finished!


 And...VOILA! Here's my take on Cupateer's Pottery Barn Pillow knock-offs!


Now I need to find a pillow to place inside it and I need to figure out a cute way to wrap this gift!

Be sure to check out Someday...Crafts and Cupkateer's blogs!

It was as easy as it looks, I promise!  
Feel free to post any questions you have about the project!
What cute projects have you found on blogs and tried for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any and all comments, but please be polite to myself and others!